Day 4 has been wicked, I finished off the chimney, and then started the vermicrete, this was easy to mix, but difficult to get stick, so I used some chicken wire mesh to lock it in and slapped it on with my hands, I reckon I got a generous 4-5″ on especially over the top, it’s all looking really great, was chuffed my front brick arch stood up by itself, though not the best brickwork in the land, using the outer rim of the barrel which locked it in place so it’s very sturdy (i hope)
I’m really pleased that as planned my tuscan grill fits through perfectly 14″ and a few mm spare
Here’s some more pics, planning on taking the rest of the weekend off to leave it to all set (covered with tarp to keep the rain off)
Then tuesday Iwill render over the top and the base, and start warming her up slowly
I got loads done yesterday, but struggled today as had torrential rain most of the day, have got the barrel cut and in place now and have covered with the first heat retaining layer of concrete about 3″ so far, I have put up the brick arch, but really struggled with it, hope it holds up ok, everything covered with tarpaulin now to keep the rain off, I am really pleased with it all so far, and I have been able to use a lot of recycled materials which is great.
Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am
Well I have made a start, all the goodies were delivered this morning.
So I dug a trench for the foundation blocks and checked all was level, and built up 2 layers of block work, not the best of jobs but it’ll all be rendered to match the bbq, it’s level and sturdy though so should be good.
Then I laid some concrete joists over the blocks this will have a layer of 6″ thick celcon block on top.
I am knackered and have the biggest blister ever on my hand from digging, but happy to have finally started.
Hopefully 2 more days and i’ll be done ready to start warming her up slowly.
I’ve still got to source some vermiculite, and a barrel, but have a few ideas.
Here’s some pics so far, and one of the job foreman checking everything is level……