I have now finished my oven and painted it, all looking good, fired up for the first pizza this afternoon, it wasn’t white hot but did a pizza in about 3 mins, I had the fire going for 2 1/2 hours, and did 5 pizzas on it, the first couple had a disaster with them sticking to the peel, I used more flour on the peel and was all good.
I was really pleased with my home made tools, shovel, brush and mop, and it all went rather well, everyone loved the pizza, think next time i’ll keep the fire raging a bit more as it had died down a bit just before cooking, but the pizzas were lovely and had a nice distinctive taste from the wood fire and slow ferment dough.
I even did a bit of bread which was great, and i’ve popped some mushrooms and tomatoes with a bit of olive oil and basil for supper.
I’ve got to have a look at my doors to get a snugger fit, as lost a lot of heat out the door and chimney I think, I had only popped a brick on top of chimney and that didn’t seal very well, so a few learnings and improvements, but it feels great to cook on my wfo finally.
I fired her up again tonight, a little bit more, and thought i’d cook a meal, I got some nice mackerel and samphire and cooked the fish on my tuscan grill over some fennel shoots from my herb bed, and we enjoyed it with a nice zingy salad from the garden.
I put the first scratch coat of render over the block work, and my wife said how nice it looked and the food was lovely, so i’m very happy.
I’m really happy today, I had a small curing fire this morning and went out later this afternoon and was amazed by how warm it all still was, hopefully a good sign, the chimney seems to draw well so happy with that too, and I got the first layer of render on, here’s a couple more pics.
Day 4 has been wicked, I finished off the chimney, and then started the vermicrete, this was easy to mix, but difficult to get stick, so I used some chicken wire mesh to lock it in and slapped it on with my hands, I reckon I got a generous 4-5″ on especially over the top, it’s all looking really great, was chuffed my front brick arch stood up by itself, though not the best brickwork in the land, using the outer rim of the barrel which locked it in place so it’s very sturdy (i hope)
I’m really pleased that as planned my tuscan grill fits through perfectly 14″ and a few mm spare
Here’s some more pics, planning on taking the rest of the weekend off to leave it to all set (covered with tarp to keep the rain off)
Then tuesday Iwill render over the top and the base, and start warming her up slowly
I got loads done yesterday, but struggled today as had torrential rain most of the day, have got the barrel cut and in place now and have covered with the first heat retaining layer of concrete about 3″ so far, I have put up the brick arch, but really struggled with it, hope it holds up ok, everything covered with tarpaulin now to keep the rain off, I am really pleased with it all so far, and I have been able to use a lot of recycled materials which is great.
Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am
Well I have made a start, all the goodies were delivered this morning.
So I dug a trench for the foundation blocks and checked all was level, and built up 2 layers of block work, not the best of jobs but it’ll all be rendered to match the bbq, it’s level and sturdy though so should be good.
Then I laid some concrete joists over the blocks this will have a layer of 6″ thick celcon block on top.
I am knackered and have the biggest blister ever on my hand from digging, but happy to have finally started.
Hopefully 2 more days and i’ll be done ready to start warming her up slowly.
I’ve still got to source some vermiculite, and a barrel, but have a few ideas.
Here’s some pics so far, and one of the job foreman checking everything is level……